Quincy Railroad Company
Facts And Figures
Quincy Railroad Company No. 2
Builder: American Locomotive Company: Schenectady Works
Builders number: 66032
Built Date: December 1924
Wheel Arrangement: 2-6-2T
Gross Weight: 119,700 lbs / 59.9 tons in working order.
Cylinder dimensions: 16" bore by 24" stroke
Driver Diameter: 44"
Boiler Pressure: 180 psi
Tractive Effort: 21,400 lbs
QuincyRailroad Co. #2
By Johnathon Kruger and Dave Loyola
The No.2 was built for the Quincy Railroad Company in 1924 by American Locomotive Company (ALCO) of Schenectady, New York, and spent her entire freight-hauling career working for the Quincy Railroad. The No.2 was purchased to replace Quincy Railroad No.1, a much smaller 0-4-4T weighing 37 tons.
The 6 mile long Quincy Railroad is located in Plumas County, CA, in the Feather River area of Northern California. The railroad was built to connect the town of Quincy (and lumber interests nearby) to the Western Pacific Railroad (WP) a few miles away. From Quincy, the railroad ran across the flat American Valley and then climbed a 3/4 mile 5% grade up to the WP at Quincy Junction.
Shortly after the No.2 arrived in late 1924, the railroad's single busiest job was to haul supplies for the construction of the Bucks Ranch Dam from 1925 to 1927. During this time, the No.2 hauled rock, concrete, and very large gasoline-powered shovels across the railroad. After the Dam project, most of the freight handled on the Quincy was finished lumber.
The No.2 was relegated to standby duty in 1945 when diesel locomotive No.3, a 44-ton General Electric switcher was purchased. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, the #2 was in active service when the #3 was out being overhauled. The No.2 was occasionally used for railfan excursions until being sold in August 1970 to Pacific Locomotive Association member George Adams.
The No.2 was moved to the Castro Point Railway in Richmond, CA in 1970, and operated from 1972 to 1985. In 1986, the No.2 was invited to participate in “SteamExpo” at Vancouver Canada's World Expo. When the No.2 returned to California, it was placed in storage in Fremont, CA until being moved to the Niles Canyon Railway for restoration in 1990.
The No.2 began operating for the Niles Canyon Railway in 1992, pulling passenger excursion trains on a regular schedule until August 2000, when it was then shopped for a major overhaul. Returning to service on the NCRy in June 2002, people of today can experience the sights and sounds of this small tank engine; a form of motive power that once was prevalent on branch lines throughout America.
Last Updated 11/28/2008